WORLD COCKTAIL DAY
World Cocktail day is a day set aside to celebrate cocktails, also known as alcoholic beverages. The reason it is celebrated on May 13th is that this is the publication date of the first definition of a cocktail in 1806. A cocktail is defined as a mixture of two or more ingredients, with one of the ingredients being alcohol.
When is World Cocktail Day?
It is celebrated every year on May 13th
Type of Holiday?
How is World Cocktail Day Celebrated?
- Host a cocktail party and have guests bring ingredients for their favorite cocktail. Then have a taste test!
- Most bars will have specials on cocktails – go with someone special or a group of friends.
- Invent your own cocktail and name it after yourself.
- Research cocktail recipes from around the world and try one.
- Stock your bar with some new bar tools.
World Cocktail Day Trivia/Facts:
- The origin of the word “cocktail” is explained in the Oxford dictionary as coming from a horse with a tail that stood up instead of hung down, or like a cock (rooster). It signified a mixed heritage horse, as this would not occur with a thoroughbred.
- While The Repository published the first definition of a cocktail, it was actually first used in print in London’s Morning Post and Gazetteer in 1798.
- The Old Fashioned was the most popular cocktail in 2018, its fourth year in a row.
Wondering what an “old fashioned” is (us too):
The Old Fashioned is a cocktail made by muddling sugar with bitters, then adding alcohol, originally whiskey but now sometimes brandy, and finally a twist of citrus rind.
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye whiskey, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, 1 Sugar cube, Few dashes plain water
Preparation: Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.
Serve the drink on the rocks; poured over ice
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on May 13th:
- Joe Louis – Heavyweight boxing champion
- Richie Valens – Singer
- Dennis Rodman – Basketball player
- Bea Arthur – Actress and comedienne
- Chris Crawford – NBA forward
- Stevie Wonder – Singer/songwriter
- Clive Barnes – Drama critic
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#cocktailday #worldcocktailday #drinkup