National Pi Day
This day was created to celebrate the mathematical number, pi and to eat lots of pie. This holiday is celebrated on 3.14 because Pi = 3.14 (or March 14th). In 1988, Pi Day was founded by Physicist Larry Shaw. Pi (π) is the ratio of any circle’s circumference to its diameter. Its value is approximately equal to 3.14159265. Pi is an irrational number and its decimal representation never ends or repeats.
When is National Pi Day?
This holiday is celebrated every year on March 14th
Type of Holiday?
Unofficial. Fun Holiday.
How is National Pi Day celebrated?
- Pi or PIE. Since they are pronounced the same way, pi day is known to be celebrated with a pie
- Have a pie baking contest
- Have a pie eating competition
- Have a pi recitation contest
- Memorize as many digits of pi as possible
- Eat foods that start with a pi, like pineapples and pizza, or foods that are circular in shape, like pancakes and cookies
National Pi Day Trivia/Facts:
- Pi is the most iconic irrational number
- The record for the most digits of pi memorized belongs to Rajveer Meena of Vellore, India, who recited 70,000 decimal places of pi on March 21, 2015
- Because pi is an infinite number, humans will never determine every single digit of pi
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#piday #piday2018 #pieday #pi #pie #math
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on March 14th :
- Albert Einstein – Inventor
- Simone Biles – Olympic Gymnast
- Stephen Curry – Famous Basketball Player
- Quincy Jones – Record Producer
- Billy Crystal – Comedian
- Prince Albert of Monaco – Royalty
- Chris Klein – Actor
- Michael Caine – Actor
What’s your favorite holiday to celebrate in March?