National Taco Day
Who doesn’t love tacos? While we already have Taco Tuesdays and Cinco De Mayo, now there is a day to celebrate tacos. Taco Day is a day that promotes the consumption of tacos – not that we need an excuse to eat tacos. In the United States National Taco Day is celebrated on October 4. In Mexico tacos are celebrated on March 31.
When is National Taco Day Celebrated?
In the U.S on October 4th – every year and in Mexico on March 31st
How do we celebrate Taco Day?
- Eat a lot of tacos
- Go out for tacos
- Make a variety of tacos and have your friends over – seafood, chicken, beans, cheese and eggs. Don’t forget the garnishes – salsa, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, onions and lettuce and sour cream.
- Have tacos for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Breakfast tacos are served on a soft tortilla with eggs, cheese and salsa
Taco Day Trivia/Facts:
- According to the biography of a man named Glenn Bell, he claims to have invented the taco shell in the 1950s. While Mexicans were cooking tacos to order—fresh—Glen Bell, was able to serve them faster, by making then ahead.
- According to the Smithsonian, tacos first came to the United States in 1905 – so we’re not sure about Glenn Bell’s claim.
- Thanks to the popularity of tacos, a number of fast food restaurants serving Mexican food have popped up in the past decade including Taco Bell, Moes, Chipotle and Taco Joe to name a few.
- Americans eat billions of tacos every year, approximately 4.5 billion.
- Americans not only love tacos but they also love Taco Bell with around half of the U.S. population visiting a Taco Bell once every 11 days.
- Taco Bell started in 1954 as a burger stand before they started selling hard tacos because they were in a Hispanic neighborhood.
Celebrities who Celebrate their Birthday on October 4th:
- Dakota Johnson – Actress
- Susan Sarandon – Actress
- Liev Schreiber – Actor
- Derrick Rose – Basketball Player
- Melissa Benoist – Actress
- Alicia Silverstone – American
Check 0ut all of October’s Holidays here!