National Nurses Day
National Nurses Day is a special day to honor nurses in the United States. Nurses are the right hand to physicians so it is important to increase public awareness of the critical role they play in society and to show nurses how much they are appreciated. National Nurses Day kicks off the start of National Nurses week which ends on Florence Nightingale’s birthday which is May 12th.
When is National Nurses Day?
Annually on May 6th
Type of Holiday?
Official Holiday. Not a public holiday.
How is National Nurses Day celebrated?
- Special banquets and parties are had to celebrate the achievements of nurses
- Speeches are given by government officials commending the nursing profession
- Send flowers or special gifts as tokens of appreciation given by management, patients, co-workers or family
- Present nurses with awards or pins for their service
- The American Nursing Association provides seminars on continuing education and professional development
National Nurses Day Trivia/Facts:
- In 1982 US Congress declared May 6th to be National Recognition Day for Nurses
- Each year the American Nurses Association chooses a theme for the National Nurses Day festivities
- Also known as National RN Recognition Day
- International Nurses Day falls on Florence Nightingale’s birthday each year, May 12th
- Florence Nightingale is considered by many to be the founder of the nursing profession. She founded the first secular nursing school
- The first school for nursing in the United States was established in 1862. It was called the New England Hospital for Women and Children.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on May 6th:
- George Clooney, Actor
- Tony Blair, Prime Minister of Britain
- Chris Paul, Basketball Player
- Bob Seger, American Singer-songwriter
- Willie Mays, Baseball Star
- Leslie Hope, Canadian Actress
- Andre Weil, Mathematician
- Rubin Carter, Boxer
- Martin Brodeur, Ice Hockey Player
- Martha Nussbaum, Philosopher, Writer, University teacher
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
nationalnursesday #nursesday #recognizeanurse