National Coming Out Day
Coming Out Day is a day set aside where both men and women reveal their sexual orientation or gender identity. The day was initially a day when private and public figures came out as gay; public figures often did so in the media to raise awareness.
It has since expanded to also be a celebratory holiday where people wear pride symbols and the day now also includes coming out as gay, lesbian, bisexual, as well as transgender, genderqueer, or another gender identification.
When is National Coming Out Day?
October 11th. Same day every year.
Type of Holiday?
How is this day honored/celebrated?
- By revealing your gender identity to friends and family
- By celebrating with family and friends
- The day is frequently celebrated with a parade
- Celebrate the day by reading stories of those who have come out
- Display pride symbols such as rainbow flags and pink triangles.
- Watch LGBTQ-themed movies or read books about LGBTQ
National Coming Out Day Facts:
- This day started in 1988 by Robert Eichenberg, a psychologist and founder of a personal growth workshop
- Established as a day to celebrate coming out
- The first year the day was established only 21 states participated
- The second year all of the states participated
- This day is also observed in Switzerland and the United Kingdom
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on October 11th :
- Cardi B – famous rapper
- Michelle Trachtenberg – American actress
- Matthew Bomer – American actor
- Emily Deschanel – American actress
- Fred Trump – President Trump’s Father
- Luke Perry – American Actor
- Eleanor Roosevelt – First Lady of the U.S. from 1933 – 1945 while married to Franklin Roosevelt
- Daryl Hall – Singer
- Steve Young – former quarterback
Leave a comment and let us know.