Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States dedicated to remembering the people who died while serving in the country’s armed forces. The holiday, which is currently observed every year on the last Monday of May, will be held on May 28, 2018. Since the holiday takes place on a Monday, it is frequently referred to as Memorial Day Weekend and it marks the start of the unofficial kickoff to summer while Labor Day marks the end of the summer season.
When is Memorial Day?
Observed every year on the last Monday of May. For 2018 it will be observed on May 28, 2018.
Type of Holiday?
How is Memorial Day Weekend Celebrated?
- There are Memorial Day parades each year, usually including military personnel and members of veterans’ organizations.
- It is traditional to fly the United States flag at half-staff from dawn until noon.
- Some people visit cemeteries and memorials to honor those who have died in military service.
- Volunteers, like the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.
- Since Memorial Day Weekend is a three day weekend, since it is always on a Monday, and the unofficial kick off to summer, there are picnics, sporting events and family gatherings on this three-day weekend.
Memorial Day Trivia/Facts:
- The preferred name for the holiday gradually changed from “Decoration Day” to “Memorial Day,” which became the more common name after World War II.
- Memorial Day is a federal holiday, so all non-essential government offices are closed, as are schools, businesses and other organizations (although retail stores will run sales).
- Memorial Day started as an event to honor Union soldiers who had died during the American Civil War. After World War I, it was extended to include all men and women who died in any war or military action.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on May 28th:
- Kylie Minogue – Pop singer
- King George I – Monarch
- Jim Thorpe – Athlete
- Marco Rubio – Politician
- Ian Fleming – Author
- Jerry West – Basketball player
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
memorialday #kickofftosummer #happymemorialday