INTERNATIONAL DAY OF HAPPINESS
International Day of Happiness recognizes the pursuit of happiness as a fundamental human goal. The day was founded by United Nations adviser Jayme Illien on June 28, 2012, when all 193 member states of the United Nations General Assembly unanimously adopted the day.
When is International Day of Happiness?
Every year on March 20th
Type of Holiday?
Official. While you are encouraged to smile, you will not get the day off.
How is International Day of Happiness celebrated?
- Start the day off with a happy thought – no negativity.
- Ask friends and family for a list of music, art, books, and activities that make them feel happy.
- Pledge to intentionally focus on the good parts of each day.
- Volunteer to help others. Research shows that doing good leads to feeling good.
- Do something to make yourself happy – get a massage, have a picnic, relax with a good book.
International Day of Happiness Trivia/Facts:
- International Day of Happiness (“Happiness Day”) was founded by United Nations adviser Jayme Illien on June 28, 2012
- The first International Day of Happiness was celebrated in 2013, a year after the resolution was adopted by the UN General Assembly.
- Norway tops the list in global happiness rankings, followed closely by Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, and Finland.
- Richard Easterlin pioneered the economics of happiness more than 40 years ago.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on March 20th:
- Bobby Orr – Canadian NHL Hall of Famer
- Frederick Winslow Taylor – Father of Scientific Management
- Jimmy Vaughan – Guitarist
- Jack Barry – Game show emcee
- Carl Reiner – Comedian
- Holly Hunter – Actress
- Danny Garcia – Boxer
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#happiness #happyday #dayofhappiness #happy