National Frozen Food Day
It’s hard to believe this day was created by a former President of the United States. Thanks to Ronald Reagan frozen food has its very own day on the calendar. Reagan and his wife, Nancy loved sitting in front of the television and eating frozen food. Freezing food preserves food from the time it is prepared to the time it is eaten. Since early times, farmers, fishermen, and trappers have preserved their game in unheated buildings during the winter season. Freezing food slows down decomposition by turning water to ice, making it unavailable for most bacterial growth.
When is National Frozen Food Day?
Celebrated the same day every year, March 6th
Type of Holiday?
Unusual. Fun Holiday.
How is National Frozen Food Day celebrated?
Treat yourself to new things on this “chilly” frozen food day. Plan an entire day’s worth of meals by only using frozen food items. Place fruit in the freezer, such as grapes and bananas, which are also excellent snacks for kids. Toaster strudels are a quick breakfast on the go. Slip a hot pocket in a microwave or eat a “Lean Cuisine” meal. Explore the world of frozen dinners. Finish off this special day with ice cream or another frozen favorite food. Delicious treats include pies, ice cream cakes, or sorbet.
National Frozen Food Day Trivia/Facts:
- Frozen foods can be 50% cheaper than their fresh counterparts,
- In many cases frozen can be just as healthy — if not healthier — than fresh,
- Frozen foods first hit store shelves in 1930 in Springfield, Ma. Who developed the process? …… Clarence Birdseye. Birdseye still is one of the most popular brands of frozen foods out there to this day.
- Frozen dinners, first known as TV dinners, came on the scene in 1954 and were introduced by Swanson.
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#frozenfoodday #tyson #swanson #frozen
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on March 6th:
- Shaquille O’Neal – Basketball player
- Tim Howard – Soccer player
- Michelangelo – Artist
- Connie Britton – Actress
- Jake Arietta – Baseball player
- DL Hughley – Comedian
- Kiki Dee – Pop singer
- Marcus Smart – Basketball player
- Lou Costello – Comedian
Another holiday, though not nearly as popular that is celebrated on March 6th is National Dentist’s Day.
What’s your favorite holiday to celebrate in March?