Drop Everything and Read Day
Drop Everything and Read Day or D.E.A.R. Day is the birthday of author Beverly Cleary. The first D.E.A.R. was celebrated on Cleary’s 90th birthday. It is a national celebration of reading that is designed to remind families to make reading a priority activity in their lives. It’s when kids can read and enjoy the books they want, just for the pleasure of reading. Drop Everything and Read Day is a partnership effort of several organizations to promote reading habit.
When is Drop Everything and Read Day?
Celebrated every year on April 12th, author, Beverly Cleary’s birthday
Type of Holiday?
How is Drop Everything and Read Day (D.E.A.R.)celebrated?
- Celebrate the day by reading
- Host a D.E.A.R. event!
- Celebrate the day by making an Independent Reading Work plan.
- Promote Silent Reading and free voluntary reading
Drop Everything and Read Day Trivia/Facts:
- The first D.E.A.R. was celebrated on Cleary’s 90th birthday
- Clearly celebrates her 102nd birthday in 2018
- D.E.A.R. is a program to promote good reading habits among children
- On this day, families are encouraged to take at least 30 minutes to put aside all distractions and enjoy books together
- Event details, sticker sheets, bookmarks, personalized certificates for readers, and T-Shirts can be downloaded and printed to encourage reading habit among children and adults
- Schools often have Drop Everything and Read Day program to enable kids to read and enjoy the books they want just for the pleasure of reading
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on April 12th:
- Brenden Urie, Pop singer
- Madein Tyo, Rapper
- Beverley Clearly, Children’s author
- Akai Osei, Dancer
- Brooklyn Decker, Model
- David Letterman, TV Show host
- Riley Smith, Movie actor
- Jacob Zuma, World leader
- Andy Garcia, Movie actor
- Tom Clancy, Novelist
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#d.e.a.r. #dropeverythingandread #happybirthdaybeverly